Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Colour Block


When shooting this assignment, we were asked to take note of how colours might create feeling, mood, or create their own presence. I know that colour can be very powerful, but I think, in general, it needs to be tied in to a contextual material (figurative) to really claim it's power. I wanted to experiment, and see if a more neutral object would allow colours to create feeling, so I went and shot some fruits and vegetables. Not surprisingly, the colours alone don't do a lot to enhance the way I'm feeling. I just feel like I'd like some crispy fresh food.


Colour, shape, texture, lighting, past experience, personal taste, current mood, and a bazillion other things effect the way we view an image. In the photos that I took, I find that there are other sensations that combine with the natural subjects, which create other thoughts for me. Mainly, I think about taste. To me, this shows that colour is yet another handy Tool in the Photography Toolbox. We can use it to our advantage, but you have to harness it, and apply it, or else it maintains a fairly neutral level of influence.


-Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment